Friday, October 23, 2009

Karan Johar: I prefer first time film makers

There is something about first time film makers that excites Karan Johar. For his production house Dharma Productions, most of the directors chosen by him are those who are making a film for the first time. Ayan Mukerji has given a successful WAKE UP SID, Rensil D'Souza seems all set for a success with KURBAAN while Tarun Mansukhani, who gave a HIT last year with DOSTANA, is making two more movies for Karan - animation flick KOOCHIE KOOCHIE HOTA HAI and DOSTANA 2.

"That's the 'mantra'", says Karan in an unabashed tone, "I prefer first time film makers to work with me as there is certain hunger in them. They want to succeed and it's the freshness in their approach which makes the entire experience of making a film all the more exciting. I am happy with this strategy so far and don't want established film makers."

This is the reason why entire 2010 would see Dharma Productions unleashing one film after another, all of which would have a first time director at the helm of affairs. Other than Karan's own MY NAME IS KHAN, there would be Siddharth Malhotra coming up with STEPMOM remake, Punit Malhotra making his debut with I HATE LOVE STORIES and Karan Malhotra beginning work on AGNEEPATH remake.

How does the director in him, who has been making films for 11 years now (Karan made his debut with KUCH KUCH HOTA HAI in 1998) keep away from the temptation of giving 'creative inputs' with so many newcomers at the helm of affairs?

"You have to believe me when I say that I allow them to make their own films", he smiles, "Eventually if I come in their way and do everything then what's the point? In that case neither them nor me would ever have objectivity of the work that we do."

(Glamsham)

No comments:

Post a Comment